Ulysses Draft Analysis
2017 edition U pages 563-608
1922 edition U pages 569-618
- The first draft of the entire episode, eoEumeus, is a single continuous document that was written in Paris in the second half of 1920. It is possible that a (now lost) very early version of the episode — in which Stephen is ‘rescued’ by a stranger, possibly not named Bloom — was prepared in Zurich in 1916. If so, the basic narrative plot, if not parts of the text, would have been incorporated into eoEumeus.
- Private MS:
- School exercise book with purple paper covers.  leaves lined paper, 21 by 15.3 cm. Text in black ink with revisions in black, red and green ink and in pencil. “EUMEO” handwritten on label on front cover.
- u16.0 (eotext)
- First known draft (“Eumeo”): extant but unavailable as it is privately owned.
- Buffalo MS V.A.21:
- School exercise book with lavender paper covers and black cloth spine.  leaves graph paper, 19.3 x 14.5 cm. Starting on the second leaf Joyce numbered the rectos 1-11, a numbering we follow, before ceasing numbering. Text first written on rectos of fols. 1-23 (= leaves 2-24), with additions on some facing versos, and continued on versos of fols. 23, 22, 21, 20, 19. The notebook contains two segments of the episode at this draft stage, corresponding to U84 16.490-1289 (u16B) and U84 16.1454-16.1890 (u16D).
- u16A.1 (proto-text)
- Second draft of U84 1-490, possibly missing, or possibly a part of the fair copy (see
- MS: missing
- u16B.1 (proto-text)
- Heavily revised second draft of U84 490-1289-1344 written in black ink, with pencil and ink revisions, proably in two stages; folios 1-11 are so numbered, while 12-19 are unnumbered; Paris, January 1921.
- u16C.1 (proto-text)
- Second draft of U84 1344-1452, possibly missing, or possibly a part of the fair copy (see
- MS: missing
- u16D.1 (proto-text)
- Heavily revised second draft of U84 1552-1894 written in black ink, with pencil and ink revisions; Paris, January 1921.
- The Rosenbach fair copy for “Eumeus” was completed mid-February 1921 (see Letters I, 4 February and III, 18 February, 1921)
- u16A.2 (Rosenbach)
- Final fair copy (ink); Paris, February 1921. There is no extant prototext for this section (U84 1-490)
- u16B.2 (Rosenbach)
- Final fair copy (ink); Paris, February 1921. The extant proto-Eumeus (16B.1) for this section (U84 490-1344) ends near end of fol. 35 (U84 1289). Folios 13-25 originally numbered 1-13; folios 26-36 originally numbered 1-11.
- u16C.2 (Rosenbach)
- Final fair copy (ink); Paris, February 1921. There is no extant prototext for this section (U84 1344-1452). Folios 37-39 originally numbered 1-3.
- u16D.2 (Rosenbach)
- Final fair copy (ink); Paris, February-early March 1921 (see Letters III, 1 March 1921). For the prototext of this section (U84 1452-end) see 16D.1. Folios 40-46 originally numbered 4-10; folios 47-54 originally numbered 1-8.
- This draft level (which is a "virtual" level) represents the changes, mainly in punctuation, made in preparing the
typescript from the manuscript. It is not clear whether these changes, or some of them, were authorised. Nevertheless,
most of them were (at the very least) accepted by Joyce and became part of the further development of the episode.
Only one category of change—the conversion of dialogue dashes to inverted commas—is not included, as it was
immediately reversed in toto. Nevertheless, it too may have been authorised: February 1921 (see
Letters I, 4 February
and 28 February 1921).
- MS: missing
- u16.4 (Gabler—B)
- First typescript (incomplete) prepared for the printer of Ulysses: delivered to Joyce early April 1921 (see Letters I, 3 April 1921).
- u16.4' (Gabler—B)
- First typescript: duplicate exemplar of page 8 of the above carrying copies of the revisions; duplicate exemplar of the pages missing from the above printer's copy carrying copies of only a few corrections.
- MS: Buffalo V.B.14.a, 8; 13-15, 19-24
- Reproduced: JJA 15: 378; 385-387, 391-396
Placards and Proofs
- u16.5 (Gabler—1)
- First placards; (PL 1-1), (PL 2-1), (PL 3-1), (PL 4-1), (PL 5-1) dated by the printer 8 December, 9 December, 12 December, 13 December, 14 December 1921
- u16.5' (Gabler—1)
- First placards; duplicates of PL III 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 5bis-1;
- MS Harvard: placards III 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 5bis-1
- Reproduced: JJA 20: 297-304, 325-332, 351-358, 368
- u16.6 (Gabler—2)
- Second placards; (PL 1-2), (PL 2-2), (PL 3-2), (PL 5-2) dated by the printer 13 December, 14 December, 27 December, 28 December 1921.
- u16.6' (Gabler—2)
- Second placards; duplicates of PL 1-2, PL 2-2;
- MS Harvard: placards III 1-2, 2-2
- Reproduced: JJA 20: 253-260, 279-286
- u16.7 (Gabler—3)
- First page proofs; extends only to U84 16.1743; (PP 36) dated by the printer 11 January 1922.
- u16.8 (Gabler—4) (See also u16.8')
- Second page proofs; (PP 36) (PP 37) (PP 38) dated by the printer 16 January, 17 January, 18 January 1922; (PP 37) (PP 38) (PP 39) marked “Bon à tirer” and dated 20 January, 20 January and 25 January 1922.
- u16.8' (Gabler—4)
- Second page proofs (duplicate;
(PP 36) dated by the printer 16 January 1921
- MS Texas: gatherings (←) 36
- Reproduced: JJA 27: 45-54
- Notebooks used: UN4 (NLI.5A)
- u16.9 (Gabler—5)
- Third page proofs; (PP 36) covers U84 16.303-390 (pp 577-579) only; (PP 38)
covers U84 16.1634-1654 (pp 612) only
- MS Texas: gatherings 36, 38
- Reproduced: JJA 27: 73-78, 129
- Errata (post 1st edition)
- u16.10' (Gabler—6)
- “Errata”: printed errata list for first edition; 2 copies
- MS: BL Add MS 57356, fols. 29v; 33v
- Reproduced: JJA 12: 206, 213