2010 edition FW pages 134-153
1939 edition FW pages 169-195
- Section 1: FW, 169-187.23
- First draft (pencil) in a large red-backed notebook immediately following the end of I.5§4.1. This draft, which contains several as yet unintegrated protonotes, was significantly restructured in transcription. Probably January 1924 (see Letters, I, 16 January and 8 February 1924).
- Second draft (pencil) in the same notebook; fols. 59v and 61v also contain material for I.5§1.3χ/4.3χ; probably January 1924.
- First draft of a passage (179.29-180.16) not included in I.7§1.2, but instead was faircopied on the verso of a page (fol. 28) of the typescript (I.7§1.3) before that draft was revised; probably January or early February 1924.
- SECTION TWO: FW 187.24-195
- First draft (pencil) in the large red-backed notebook; structured on the list of charges found on fol. 65v; this draft is followed (on fol. 68r) by the first version of the opening lines of I.8§1.0χ; January or early February 1924.
- Second draft (pencil) in the same notebook; January or February 1924.
- SECTIONS ONE AND TWO: FW 169-195
- Fair copy (ink); sent to Harriet Shaw Weaver early February 1924 (see Letters, I, 8 February 1924).
Fair copy (ink) uniform with I.8§1.2; Sent to Lili Bollach for typing on
14 February 1924.
- MS: BL 47474, fols. 16r, 17r, 18r, 19r, 20r
- JJA 47 (Book I Chapters 6 and 7): 392-396
First typescript; typed in 3 lots, fols. 23-28, numbered 1-6 (see Letters, Stanford, 19 January 1924), fols. 29-33, numbered 1 to 5 (see Letters, Stanford, 4 February and 5 February, 1924), and fols 33-36, numbered 5-8 (fol. 33 may be a replacement for an earlier page 5 ending in ‘thirst.’: see Letters, Stanford, 14 February 1924);
revised in conjunction with I.5§1.5/4.5 and I.8§1.3; made February 1924, revised June 1925.
- MS: BL 47474, fols. 22v, 23r, 24r, 24v, 25r, 25v, 26r, 26v, 27r, 27v, 28r, 28v, 29r, 29v, 30r, 30v, 31r, 31v, 32r, 32v, 33r, / (32v), (33r), 33v, 34r, 34v, 35r, 35v, 36r
- JJA 47 (Book I Chapters 6 and 7): 398-425
- Notebooks used: SA (VI.A), N1 (VI.B.10)°, N3 (VI.B.3), N4 (VI.B.25), N5 (VI.B.2), N8 (VI.B.6), N9 (VI.B.1), N10 (VI.B.16), N11 (VI.B.5), N12 (VI.B.14), N13 (VI.D.3), N14 (VI.B.7), N17 (VI.B.9), N19 (VI.B.19)
Early versions of the additions made on fols. 28v and 30v-31r above, written in the large red-backed notebooks and at the end of the notebook containing the early drafts of III.1-3, respectively;
MS 47471b 67v-68r also carry material used in §2.0 and I.8§1A.0χ, and MS 47482b, fol. 122v, also contains the acrostic on “SHEM” used in I.5§4.3χ; probably February 1924.
- MS: BL 47471b, fols. (67v), (68r); MS 47482b, fols. 122r, 122v
- JJA 47 (Book I Chapters 6 and 7): 426-429
Copy for This Quarter
- Second typescript; with a few pages cut up and pasted to retyped pages (see following draft); some fragments missing; probably June 1925 (see Letters I, 13 June 1925).
- I.7§1.5/2.5 (See also I.7§1.5'/2.5')
- Third typescript, prepared for the printer of This Quarter; includes several pages and parts of pages from the preceding draft; Summer 1925 (see Letters, Beach 20 July, 27 July, III, 31 July, BLHW, 8 August, and III, 10 August 1925).
Late corrections also included in above typescript (see Letters, Beach,
5 July and [ND] July, 1925),
indicating it was her copy (I.7§1.5+/2.5+) that was sent to This Quarter.
- MS: Buffalo, X.C.76, X.C.77
- JJA 47 (Book I Chapters 6 and 7): not reproduced
- Notebooks used: N17 (VI.B.9)
1.5+ Retyped version of the end of fol. 48r.
- MS: BL 47474, fol. 49r
- JJA 47 (Book I Chapters 6 and 7): 470
Carbon (missing) of above typescript with the corrections copied in by Sylvia Beach.
- MS missing
- Proofs (missing) for This Quarter; received by Joyce after much delay and revised mid-October 1925: (see Letters, III, 15 August, I, 29 August, 27 September, 10 October, Beach, 19 October, and I, 22 October, 1925).
- This Quarter (Autumn-Winter 1925) was published in November 1925.
Copy for transition
- Marked pages of This Quarter (Autumn-Winter 1925) for the printer of transition 7; probably August-September 1927.
- I.7§1.8/2.8 (See also I.7§1.8+/2.8+)
- Proofs for transition 7 (VI.E.4, the manuscript version of the song, was apparently keyed to both fol. 75v and to fol. 89r); September 1927 (see Letters, I, 14 September and III, 8 October, 1927).
1.8+/2.8+ Late corrections (missing) for transition 7; September 1927.
- MS missing
- transition 7 was published October 1927.
Copy for Faber and Faber
- In preparing copy of Book I for the printer of Finnegans Wake Joyce collected and numbered in sequence pages from transition 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (including pages from the ‘Mookse and Gripes’ episode in Tales Told of Shem and Shaun), 7, and pages from the Faber and Faber edition of Anna Livia Plurabelle. Assembling the material to be revised took place in October 1931 (see Letters, III 27 October 1931) and the revised material (the second set below) delivered to Faber and Faber in March 1933 (see Letters, NLFF unpublished, 10 March, and 12 March, 1933). Joyce signed off on the revisions (including some later emendations sent in 1936 on 11 July 1936 (see the note by Joyce on BL 47475, fol. 1r).
- I.7§1.9/2.9 (See also I.7§1.9+/2.9+)
- Marked pages of transition 7 (October 1927) for the printer of Finnegans Wake; numbered to follow I.6§1.6/2.4/3.9/4.5; probably early 1930s.
Extradraft material for the above draft stage; early 1930s.
- MS: BL 47475, fol. 75r
- JJA 47 (Book I Chapters 6 and 7): 515
- Notebooks used: N42 (VI.B.31)
Duplicate transition 7 pages with the overlay from the preceding draft repeated (some typed on separate sheets and keyed to the transition 7 pages), and with further overlay; probably 1933.
- MS: BL 47475, fols 151v, 152r, 152v, 153r, 259r, 153v, 154r, 154v, 155r, 260r, 155v, 156r, 156v, 261r, 157r, 157v, 158r, 158v, 159r, 159v, 262r, / (159v), 160r, 263r, 160v, 264r, 161r, 265r, 161v, 266r, 162r, 267r, 162v, 268r
- JJA 47 (Book I Chapters 6 and 7): 517-551
- Notebooks used: N18 (VI.B.8), N42 (VI.B.31)
Late addition to fol. 152r above; not included in Finnegans Wake; 1936.
- MS: BL 47475, fols. 278r, 278v, 279r
- JJA 47 (Book I Chapters 6 and 7): 552-554
Proofs for Finnegans Wake I.7 (FW, 169-195)
Galleys 94-111 (first set) for Finnegans Wake; included here is a (duplicate) typescript of the overlay inscribed on this first set of galleys, of some overlay written on separate sheets and keyed to the galleys, of some late errata (also written on separate sheets), and (rarely) of some overlay for which the authorial holograph versions are missing or are found on the second set of galleys; in most cases the typescript is not keyed to this galley set; dated by the printer 12 March 1937 and received by Harriet Shaw Weaver 25 February 1938 (see Letters, I, 14 July,
6 August and NLFF, 18 December, 1937). See also I.7§1.10χ/2.10χ below.
- MS: BL 47476a, fols. (100v), (101r), 101v, 102r, 102v, 103r, 103v, 104r, 104v, 105r, 105v, 106r, 106v, 107r, 107v, 108r, 108v, 109r, 109v, 110r, 110v, 111r, 112r, 112v, 113r, / (112v), (113r), 113v, 114r, 114v, 115r, 115v, 116r, 117r, 118r
- JJA 50 (Book I Galleys, vol. i): 212-245
- Notebooks used: N51 (VI.B.44), N52 (VI.B.42), N53 (VI.B.46), VI.C.7, Sheets VIII
- Predraft versions of some of the overlay on the above galley set; 1937 or 1938.
Galleys (second set, duplicates) for Finnegans Wake; included here is a (duplicate) composite typescript of the overlay on the first set, of the overlay inscribed on this second set of galleys, and (rarely) of some overlay for which the authorial holograph versions are missing; some of the overlay on fols. 255r, 256r, and 259r is in the hand 4of an amanuensis; the typescript additions carried over from the first set are keyed to this galley set, but with a few exceptions, the new typescript additions are not; dated as the first set but received by Harriet Shaw Weaver 16 May 1938.
- MS: BL 47476a, fols. (243v), (244r), 244v, 245r, 245v, 246r, 246v, 247r, 247v, 248r, 248v, 473r, 249r, 249v, (473r), 250r, 250v, 252r, 251r, 251v, (252r), 252v,253r, 253v, 2S4r, 2S4v, 255r, 2SSv, 2S6r, / (255v), (256r), 256v, 257r; 47476b, fol. (473r); 47476a, fols. 258r, 258v, 259r, 259v, 260r, 260v, 261r
- JJA 50 (Book I Galleys, vol. i): 504-541
- Notebooks used: N53 (VI.B.46), N54 (VI.B.45), VI.C.7, VI.C.4°
Galleys (third set, duplicates) for Finnegans Wake; included here is a (duplicate) composite typescript of the overlay on the first and second sets, of some late additions written on separate sheets, and (rarely) of some overlay for which the authorial holograph versions are missing; the typescript is keyed to this galley set; May 1938
(see Letters, NLFF, 23 May 1938.
- MS: BL 47476b, fols. (392v), (394r), 394v, 395r, 39Sv, 396r, 396v, 397r, 397v, 398r, 398v, 399r, 399v 400,r, 400v, 401r, 401v, 402r, 402v, 403r, 403v, 404r, 404v, 405r, 405v, 406r, / (405v), (406r), 406v, 407r, 407v, 408r, 408v, 409r, 409v, 410r, 410v, 411r
- JJA 51 (Book I Galleys, vol. ii): 214-249
Page proofs for I.7 (FW, 169-195)
Page proofs, first set; dated by the printer 12 August 1938 and 17 September 1938; returned to Faber and Faber mid-November
(see Letters, NLPL 11 September, 28 September, 30 September and
NLFF, 18 November, 1938).
- MS: Tulsa, L 169-176, M 177-192, N 193-195
- JJA 51 (Book I Galleys vol. ii): not reproduced
- Notebooks used: N56 (VI.B.41)
Page proofs, second set, no revisions were made at this draft stage; dated by the printer 1 December 1938 and 6 December 1938.
- MS: Tulsa, L' 169-176, M' 177-192, N' 193-195
- JJA 51 (Book I Galleys vol. ii): not reproduced
Errata for I.7 (1939 FW 169-195)
Errata for Finnegans Wake, begun in 1939 (see Letters, NLFF,
22 July, NLPL 10 August,
19 August, and NLFF, 30 August,
1939), involving marking up an unbound copy of the first edition (minimal corrections only as the paging could not be redone),
and completed in the summer of 1940 at Saint Gerand-le Puy. The corrections were then typed in duplicate (Buffalo VI.H.4.b, c) or
triplicate and given to Maria Jolas on 28 August, 1940 for delivery in New York to B.W. Huebsch of the Viking Press. The third
presumably sent to Faber and Faber.
- MS: Buffalo VI.H.4.a, pp. 169-195 ; Buffalo VI.H.4.b, fols. 9r, 31r, 10r; Buffalo VI.H.4.c, fols. 9r, 31r, 10r
- JJA 51 (Book I Galleys vol. ii): not reproduced; 297-300; not reproduced