2010 edition FW pages 24-38
1939 edition FW pages 30-47
- Section 1: 1939 FW 30-34.29 ("Here Comes Everybody")
- First draft (ink) - written on “Restaurant des Trianons” notepaper; probably August-September 1923 (see Letters III, 23 August 1923).
- Fair copy (ink, but with pencil revisions); probably September 1923.
- I.2§1.2 (See also I.2§2.2/3.2)
- Second fair copy (ink); September 1923 (see Letters, BLHW, 10 September 1923).
- I.2§1.3 (See also I.2§2.3/3.3)
- Typescript (carbon); made c. 10 September 1923 (see Letters BLHW, 10 September 1923, and I, 9 October and 17 October, 1923). [See also §2.3/3.3.]
- I.2§1.4 (See also §2.4/3.4).
Proofs (missing) for Contact Collection of Contemporary Writers; probably Spring 1925 (see Letters I,
21 November 1924, III, 25 April,
and BLHW, N.D.
May 1925, the last appearing in Huxley and Gilbert. See also §2.4/3.4.
- MS: missing
- Notebooks used: N14 (VI.B.7)
- Section 2: 1939 FW 34.30-44.21
- First draft (pencil and ink) of 1939 FW 34.34-44.08 - written at the beginning of a large red-backed notebook; fols. 2v and 3r also contain material (written later) for I.3§1.0; probably October 1923 (see Letters I, 23 October 1923. The earlier part of the draft is dictated but with authorially inscribed revisions.
Fair copy (pencil), in the same notebook; fols. 4v and 5v, and fol. 8r also contain material (written later) for I.3§1.0, I.3§2.0, and I.4§1A.0, respectively; probably October 1923.
- MS: BL 47471b, fols. 3v-7r, 8r
- JJA 45 (Book I Chapters 2 and 3): 24-37
- Notebooks used: SA (VI.A), N3 (VI.B.3), N4 (VI.B.25) (missing in part), N5 (VI.B.2)°
- Section 3: 1939 FW 44.22-47 ("The Rann")
- First draft (pencil) - written in the large red-backed notebook on the versos of pages used in I.3§1.0 and I.3§2.1; fol. 12v also contains material for I.3§2.1; probably October-November 1923.
- Second draft (ink), including the introductory lines from the end of §2; probably November 1923. The added stanzas on fol. 118v are in pencil.
- SECTIONS TWO AND THREE (INTEGRATED)
- Fair copy (ink), written in two parts but later combined by Joyce; probably November-December 1923 (see Letters I, 17 December 1923). See also §1.2.
Copy for transition
First typescript; probably prepared in December 1923 but revised early 1927 (see Letters I,
1 February, 2 March,
and III, 16 March, 1927). See also §1.3.
- MS: BL 47472, fols. 139r, 139v, 140r, 141r, 141v, 143r, / (143r), 144r, 145r, 146r
- JJA 45 (Book I Chapters 2 and 3): 55-64
- Notebooks used: SA (VI.A), N1 (VI.B.10), N3 (VI.B.3), N4 (VI.B.25)°, N5 (VI.B.2), N6 (VI.B.11)°, N8 (VI.B.6)°, N9 (VI.B.1), N11 (VI.B.5), N17 (VI.B.9), N18 (VI.B.8), N20 (VI.B.13), N21 (VI.B.20)°, N22 (VI.B.17), N23 (VI.B.12), N25 (VI.B.12)
- Fair copy (ink), but including typescript pages of much of the §3 from the preceding draft which were not recopied; probably March 1927. Continuous with I.3§1.4. See also §1.4.
- I.2§1.5/2.5/3.5 (See also I.2§2.5+)
- Marked pages (missing) of Contact Collection of Contemporary Writers (Paris, 1925), and second typescripts of §2 and §3 prepared for the printer of transition 2 in two parts, with the (incorrect) numbering from fols. 144-146 carried over. Fol. 214r (a typescript of fol. 164r) appears to have been typed late. Two additions, on fols. 219r and 221r, were not incorporated into the galleys or published version of transition 2, but were restored in I.2§2.8 (marked transition pages; probably March-April 1927.
Retyped version of fol. 142r; probably March-April 1927.
- MS: BL 47472, fol. 216r
- JJA 45 (Book I Chapters 2 and 3): 85
- Notebooks used: N25 (VI.B.15)
- SECTIONS ONE THROUGH THREE (INTEGRATED)
Galley proofs (first set) for transition 2, carrying only a small number of corrections of printer's errors; probably April 1927.
- MS: BL 47472, fols. 316r, 317r, 318r, 319r, / (319r), 320r, 321r, 322r, 323r, 324r, 325r, / 326r, 327r, 328r, 329r
- JJA 45 (Book I Chapters 2 and 3): 89-102
- I.2§1.7/2.7/3.7 (See also I.2§3.7+)
- Galley proofs (second set, or duplicate first set) for transition 2, with corrections and additions and including the final version of the music for the ballad; probably April 1927.
Early version of the music for the ballad; probably April 1927.
- MS: Buffalo VI.B.50.c (VI.E.1)
- JJA 45 (Book I Chapters 2 and 3): 103
- Note: transition 2 was published May 1927.
Late revision for the ballad, contained in an undated letter from Joyce to Sylvia Beach (see Letters, I,
N.D. 1927). This addition, which arrived too late for inclusion in transition 2, does not appear in any subsequent draft; probably early May 1927.
- MS: Buffalo X.C.127
- JJA 45 (Book I Chapters 2 and 3): not reproduced.
- Notebooks used: N26 (VI.B.18)
Revised pages 94-97 of transition 2 (May 1927) prepared for the printer of Transition Stories (1929)
- MS: missing
Copy for Faber and Faber
- In preparing copy of Book I for the printer of Finnegans Wake Joyce collected and numbered in sequence pages from transition 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (including pages from the ‘Mookse and Gripes’ episode in Tales Told of Shem and Shaun), 7, and pages from the Faber and Faber edition of Anna Livia Plurabelle. Assembling the material to be revised took place in October 1931 (see Letters, III 27 October 1931) and the revised material (the second set below) delivered to Faber and Faber in March 1933 (see Letters, NLFF unpublished, 10 March, and 12 March 1933). Joyce signed off on the revisions (including some later emendations sent in 1936 on 11 July 1936 (see the note by Joyce on BL 47475, fol. 1r).
- I.2§1.8/2.8/3.8 (See also I.2§1.8+/2.8+/3.8+)
- Marked pages of transition 2 (May 1927) prepared for the printer of Finnegans Wake; probably early 1930s.
Duplicate pages of transition 2 (May 1927) with the overlay from the preceding draft repeated (some typed on separate sheets) and with further overlay; probably 1933 (see Letters, NLFF unpublished, 4 October 1933, indicating the pages were in London).
- MS: BL 47475, fols. 103v, 104r, 188r, 104v, 189r, 190r, 105r, / (105r), 105v, 191r, 106r, 106v, 192r, 193r, 107r, 107v, 194r, 108r, 108v, / (108v), 109r, 109v, 110r
- JJA 45 (Book I Chapters 2 and 3): 113-134
- Notebooks used: SD1 (VI.A), N18 (VI.B.8), N26 (VI.B.18), N35 (VI.B.24), N38 (VI.B.32), N42 (VI.B.31), N43 (VI.B.35)
Proofs for Finnegans Wake I.2 (1939 FW 30-47)
- I.2§1.9/2.9/3.9 (See also I.2§1.9+/2.9+)
Galleys 17-27 (first set) for Finnegans Wake; included here is a (duplicate) typescript of the overlay inscribed on this first set of galleys, of some overlay written on separate sheets and keyed to the galleys, of some late errata (also written on separate sheets), and (rarely) of some overlay for which the authorial holograph versions are missing or are found on the second set of galleys; in most cases the typescript is not keyed to this galley set; dated by the printer 12 March 1937 and received by Harriet Shaw Weaver 25 February 1938
(see Letters, I, 14 July,
6 August and NLFF, 18 December, 1937). See also §2.9χ and §1.9+/2.9+ below.
- MS: BL 47476a, (18r), 18v, 19r, 19v, 20r, / (19v), (20r), 21r, 21v, 22r, 22v, 23r; 47476b, fol. 433r; 47476a, fols. 24r, 26r, 26v, 24v, 25r, 27r, 27v, 25v; 47476b, fol. 436r; 47476a, fols. 28r, 28v; 47476b, fol. (436r); 47476a, fols. 29r, / (28v), (29r), 30r 30v, 32r
- JJA 50 (Book I Galleys, vol. i): 33-63
- Notebooks used: N51 (VI.B.44), N52 (VI.B.42), N53 (VI.B.46), VI.C.7, Sheets VIII
Predraft versions of some of the overlay on the above galley set (Sheets VIII); late 1937.
- MS: BL 47476b, fol. 434r,
- JJA 50 (Book I Galleys, vol. i): 269
- Notebooks used: N52 (VI.B.42)
Late additions; included in the typescript to the above galleys; 1938.
- MS 47476b, fols. 432r, / (432r)
- JJA 50 (Book I Galleys, vol. i): 279
- Notebooks used: N51 (VI.B.44)
Galleys (second set, duplicates) for Finnegans Wake; included here is a (duplicate) composite typescript of the overlay on the first set, of the overlay inscribed on this second set of galleys, and (rarely) of some overlay for which the authorial holograph versions are missing; some of the overlay on fols. 255r, 256r, and 259r is in the hand 4of an amanuensis; the typescript additions carried over from the first set are keyed to this galley set, but with a few exceptions, the new typescript additions are not; dated as the first set but received by Harriet Shaw Weaver 16 May 1938.
- MS: BL 47476a, fols. (152v), (153r), 153v, 154r, 155r, 155v, 156r, / (155v), (156r), 156v, 157r, 157v, 158r, 158v, 159r, 161v, 160r, 160r, 160v, 161r, 162r, 164v, 163r, 163v, 164r, 165r, 165v, 166r, / (165v), (166r), 166v, 167r, 167v, 169r
- JJA 50 (Book I Galleys, vol. i): 326-359
- Notebooks used: N51 (VI.B.44), N53 (VI.B.46), N54 (VI.B.45)
Galleys (third set, duplicates) for Finnegans Wake; included here is a (duplicate) composite typescript of the overlay on the first and second sets, of some late additions written on separate sheets, and (rarely) of some overlay for which the authorial holograph versions are missing; the typescript is keyed to this galley set; May 1938
(see Letters, NLFF, 23 May 1938.
- MS: BL 47476b, fols. (296v), (302r), 302v, 303r, 304r, 304v, 305r, / (304v), (305r), 305v, 306r, 306v, 307r 307v, 308r, 309r, 309v, 310r, 311r, 312r, 312v, 313r, 314r, 314v, 315r, / (314v), (315r), 315v, 316r, 316v, 318r
- JJA 51 (Book I Galleys, vol. ii): 40-68, 71
Reset version of fol. 302r; no corrections. The text ‘music block to come.’ on fol. 315r has a marginal note
appended: “Printer wait for this please” (see Letters, NLFF, 24 May,
14 June, 27 June, 30 June and 11 July, 1938).
- MS: BL 47476b, fol. (301r)
- JJA 51 (Book I Galleys, vol. ii): 284
Page proofs for I.2 (1939 FW 30-47)
Page proofs, first set; dated by the printer 7 July 1938 and 2 August 1938
(see Letters, NLFF, 24 August
and 3 September, 1938); returned to Faber and Faber mid-November
(see Letters, NLPL 11 September, 28 September, 30 September and
NLFF, 18 November, 1938).
- MS: Tulsa, B 30-32, C 33-47
- Notebooks used: N56 (VI.B.41)
- JJA 51 (Book I Galleys vol. ii): not reproduced
Page proofs, second set, no revisions were made at this draft stage; dated by the printer 20 November 1938
and returned within a few days
(see Letters, NLFF, 26 November 1938).
- MS: Tulsa, B' 30-32, C' 33-47
- JJA 51 (Book I Galleys vol. ii): not reproduced
Errata for I.2 (1939 FW 30-47)
- Errata for Finnegans Wake, begun in 1939 (see Letters, NLFF,
22 July, NLPL 10 August,
19 August, and NLFF, 30 August,
1939), involving marking up an unbound copy of the first edition (minimal corrections only as the paging could not be redone),
and completed in the summer of 1940 at Saint Gerand-le Puy. The corrections were then typed in duplicate (Buffalo VI.H.4.b, c) or
triplicate and given to Maria Jolas on 28 August, 1940 for delivery in New York to B.W. Huebsch of the Viking Press. The third
presumably sent to Faber and Faber.
- MS: Buffalo VI.H.4.a, pp. 30-47 [ → ]; Buffalo VI.H.4.b, fols. 2r, 3r; [ → ]; Buffalo VI.H.4.c, fols. 2r, 3r, [ → ]
- JJA 51 (Book I Galleys vol. ii): not reproduced; 290-291; not reproduced